Michael S. Bender was raised in Dallas, Texas. In 1981, he graduated from TCU with a BBA in business. He became a commercial real estate broker and was associated with the Henry S. Miller Company from 1980 to 1982. From 1982 to 1987, Michael was associated with the Swearingen Company, Dallas, TX. Following that, he was associated with Shannon Corporate Real Estate Services from 1987 to 1992. In March 1992 he moved to Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
Since moving to Sioux Falls, Michael has averaged a sales volume of approximately $20 million per year. Michael's total career sales volume exceeds $750 million in sales and lease transactions. He is the first broker in South Dakota to attain the designation of SIOR (Society of Industrial and Office Realtors). Out of approximately 150,000 commercial real estate brokers in the United States, only 2,300 have attained this designation. Michael served as the SIOR Minnesota Chapter President in 2007. He has also achieved the CCIM (Certified Commercial Investment Member) designation.
Michael is the founder and one of the principals of Bender Commercial Real Estate Services. He also owns Bender Midwest Properties, a full service property management company in Sioux Falls. He specializes in commercial real estate sales and leasing of all types of properties. Michael was spotlighted in the Sioux Falls Business Journal as one of the "Top Ten Leaders" in Sioux Falls. This article showcased business executives who have transformed Sioux Falls and helped position the city to remain a leading city in the Midwest for years to come.
Since moving to Sioux Falls, Michael has been involved in a variety of different types of transactions in the Sioux Falls area. Some notables include:
- 605 Running- 1900 sq. ft.
- Tel Drug- 44,704 sq. ft.
- Digital Community Holdings- 2,893 sq. ft.
- Leading Edge Chiropractic - 1,990 sq. ft.
- Hematech - 3 Buildings - 27,956 sq. ft.
- Fiserv - 8,222 sq. ft.
- South Dakota Investment - 5,695 sq. ft.
- CorTrust Bank - 4,200 sq. ft.
- Principal Life - 8,100 sq. ft.
- Wells Fargo - 3,300 sq. ft.
- Raymond James - 1,125 sq. ft.
- Sioux Falls Ambulance - 2,300 sq. ft.
- Rels Title - 3,320 sq. ft.
- L & S Teleservices - 16,992 sq. ft.
- Clarke Partnership- Multiple Transactions
- Avera Health - Multiple Transactions
- Milo Belle - 1,930 sq. ft.
- Avera McKennan - Multiple Transactions
- Fidelity Info Services - 12,405 sq. ft.
- Cigna Tel Drug - Multiple Transactions
- Somnitech - 1,631 sq. ft.
- Walgreens - 3,748 sq. ft.
- FDIC - 8,240 sq. ft.
- Colorado Tech University - 21,000 sq. ft.
- Vera Sun Energy - 43,000 sq. ft.
- Principal Financial - 8,100 sq. ft.
- USPS Renewal- 20,533 sq. ft.
- Capital One- 158,000 SF
- CNA 88,000 SF
- Avera Health - 85.47 acres
- Avera McKennan - 41,200 sq. ft.
- Midland National Life - 15.0 acres
- McDonald's USA - 9.2 acres
- DM&E Building - 42,000 sq. ft.
- Midland National Life - 12 acres
- Interstate Crossing Business Park- 3 acres - $850,000
- Aspen Ridge Land- 13 acres
- Sioux Falls Stockyards - 35.85 acres
- Midland National Life Building - 87,206 sq. ft.
- Former Midco Call Center - 23,500 sq. ft.
- The Edges Office Park - 42.9 acres
- Former CarVantage - 5,300 sq. ft. on 3.48 acres
- MainStage Ballet - 8,536 sq. ft.
- Former Gateway Building - 127,500 sq. ft.
- Grace Church Land - 39.31 acres
- Lundstrom Land - 75,000 sq. ft.
- 69th Street & Western Avenue (SWC) - 1.66 acres
- PineCrest Land - 50.56 acres, $6,000,000
- Carpenter Building- $3,600,000
- Wells Fargo Downtown Parking Ramp- $2,000,000
- Clarke Partnership- 2 Buildings 46,950 SF $3,461,300
- Sioux Falls School District- Joe Foss School
- Great Western Bank- Multiple Properties
- Wells Fargo Building $6,000,000
Michael has also been involved in many Sioux Falls community activities and boards, as well as national organizations. They include:
• Leadership Sioux Falls, Class of 1994
• Legends Sports Classic - Co-Chair – 1995
• Sioux Falls Area Chamber of Commerce Diplomat Committee (1995 - 1996)
• Crimestoppers of Sioux Falls - Board of Directors (1993 - 1998) Chair (1998)
• New Life / New Haven Center, Board of Directors (1995 - 1999)
• Turning Point Partners Annual Fund Drive - Chair (1998 - 1999)
• Christ Community Ministries - Board of Directors (1996 - 2000)
• South Dakota Symphony - Board of Directors (2002 - 2003)
• Society of Industrial & Office Realtors (SIOR) MidContinent Chapter President (2003 - 2004)
• Habitat for Humanity of Sioux Falls - Board of Directors (1999 - 2005) Chair (2004-2005)
• Sioux Falls Area Chamber of Commerce Business Leadership Council (2004 - 2008)
• Sioux Falls Area Chamber of Commerce Community Appeals Committee (2002 - 2010)
• Zoological Society of Sioux Falls - Board of Directors (1994 - 2011)
• Sioux Falls Area Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors (2004 - 2011) Chair (2010-2011)
• Forward Sioux Falls Joint Venture Managment Comittee (2011-2012)
• Sioux Falls Rotary West Member (Paul Harris Fellow) (1995-2015)
• Avera McKennan Hospital Board of Trustees (2008 - present) Chair (2014-2016)