2017 is Doug's 23rd year in the commercial real estate industry, twenty of those years have been with Bender Commercial Real Estate. Doug is one of the senior partners at BCRES and spends his time between real estate advisory work, in-the-trenches brokerage and management/mentoring. Being from the Baby-Boomer generation, Doug thrives on face-to-face relationships with clients and customers. When the opportunity presents itself, Doug teams up with the junior brokers at BCRES and taps into their tech-savy talents to service the new generation of real estate customers.
Doug's main area of focus has been in the industrial market with an emphasis on sale and leasing. For over twenty years Doug has been accumulationg data on Sioux Falls and surrounding area and industrial properties and has processed that data into an extensive data base. Equipped with that info he has become an authority for brokers price p[inion and advisory work.
A second area that Doug has spent extensive time in is the land market.
Douglas Brockhouse is a Sioux Falls native. Born in the West Sioux Falls area, his family owned the old West Sioux Hardware which was known for great ice cream cones and housed a mounted animal collection (currently on display at the Great Plains Zoo.)
Doug has had an interesting background leading up to his career in commercial real estate. After receiving his Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from the South Dakota School of Mines, he became a commissioned officer in the NOAA Corps. He spent several years offshore on research vessels.
Doug returned to Sioux Falls, made a career change and entered the trucking industry. He spent four years driving over-the-road then the next ten years working in management of two different transportation companies. Doug became president of the SD Safety Management Council, president of the Sioux Falls Transportation & Industry Group, SD Truck Driving Championship Chairman and held numerous other posts in transportation industry groups.
In the area of community involvement, Doug once again has taken a route less traveled. Doug is a team leader with the Minnehaha County Emergency Management Dive Team. His team has been involved in multiple underwater search and recovery efforts and forensic work. He is one of a few under-ice swimmer/divers in the region.
Soon after his entry into the field of commercial real estate, Doug began his pursuit of the CCIM Designation (Certified Commercial Investment Member) completing that training and fulfilling the transaction volume requirements in just two years. After just a couple of years of membership Doug dropped the CCIM designation. SIOR (Society of Industrial and Office Realtors) is another professional organization that he is an active participant in. He incorporates the relationships developed through these organizations to better serve his clients. Doug was the 2009 president for the SIOR Minnesota Chapter, the 2011/2012 Central Region Director, and the A Member of the 2012/2013 SIOR Nominating Committee.
Doug has been able to incorporate his engineering background, modern technology and trucking experiences in helping his clients achieve their goals. He excels in the industrial and transportation sectors of the real estate market and enjoys working hands-on with his clients.
Some notable transactions include:
- Former Hutchinson Technology Building - 299,995 sq. ft. - $12,000,000
- Minnesota Rubber Building, Watertown, SD - 109,406 sq. ft. - $1,460,000
- Former Syngenta Property, Brookings, SD - 80,514 sq. ft. - $950,000
- Former Gateway Computers Building - 126,000 sq. ft. - $6,500,000
- Former Food Services of Americal Building - 40,370 sq. ft. - $850,000
- Former Rosco Manufacturing Building - 80,000 sq. ft. - $625,000
- Hubbard Feeds Elevator - $1,200,000
- Boyer Ford Trucks - 7,152 sq. ft.
- Twin City Fan, Brookings, SD - 93,264 sq. ft. - $2,275,000
- Ashbach Construction - 14,000 sq. ft. - $400,000
- Davis Typewriter - 16,200 sq. ft. - $625,000
- Armcom Distributing - 20,646 sq. ft. - $745,000
- Northwest Concrete Cutting - 9,500 sq. ft. - $270,000
- RMB Properties/Twin City Fan - 46,109 sq. ft.
- Lund/Allstate Truck Leasing - 12,500 sq. ft.
- Bullinger/Twin City Fan - 30,000 sq. ft.
- Smith/Ryder Transportation - 12,000 sq. ft.
- Allstate Truck Leasing - 12,500 sq. ft.
- RPS (Caliber Systems) FedEx - 20,800 sq. ft.
- CCL Lable - 12,000 sq. ft.
- National Web Printing - 19,000 sq. ft.
- Volunteers of America - 7,793 sq. ft.
Industrial Land Sales:
- Bierschback Equipment Land Acquisition - 20 acres - $660,000
- ADP Land Acquisition - 80 acres - $2,000,000
- JELDWEN Land Acquisition - 97,800 sq. ft. - $255,683
- Bomier Properties/Marmon Keystone - 313,632 sq. ft. - $627,000