Michael Bender, CCIM, SIOR
Michael S. Bender is the founder and one of the principals of Bender Companies, a family of companies that includes Bender Commercial Real Estate Services, Bender Midwest Properties (a full-service property management company), and Bender Realtors (a residential brokerage company). Through his nearly forty years of experience in the industry, Michael has extensive expertise involving the acquisition, financing, development, and leasing of millions of square feet of all types of commercial real estate.
As a Dallas native, Michael attended and graduated from the nearby Texas Christian University in 1981 with a BBA in business. During his time as a Horned Frog, he began his career with one of the largest commercial real estate firms in Texas, Henry S. Miller Company, where he continued after graduation. For the next ten years in Dallas, Michael continued to learn from some of the best in industry at both Swearingen Company and Shannon Corporate Real Estate Services until the Bender family moved to Sioux Falls in 1992.
Following the move, Michael used his decade of experience in the Dallas commercial real estate economy to found Bender Commercial Real Estate Services where he has played a role in shaping the Sioux Falls economy for over twenty-five years. With an average yearly sales volume of approximately $20 million and north of $750 million of sales and lease transactions over his career, Michael has been spotlighted as one of the “Top Ten Leaders” in Sioux Falls by the Sioux Falls Business Journal. He was also the first broker in South Dakota to attain the designation of SIOR (Society of Industrial and Office Realtors), an achievement only 1.5% of commercial brokers in the United States reach.
Additionally, he has attained the CCIM (Certified Commercial Investment Member) designation and served as the SIOR Minnesota/Dakotas Chapter President in 2007. Michael has completed many notable transactions in Sioux Falls, some of which are listed below.
Michael has been married to his wife, Jean, for thirty-five years and they have three adult children, Matthew, Mason, and Grace. Throughout his professional career, Michael has been involved in many community activities at both the local and national level including:
- Leadership Sioux Falls, Class of 1994
- Legends Sports Classic – Co-Chair – 1995
- Sioux Falls Area Chamber of Commerce Diplomat Committee (1995 – 1996)
- Crimestoppers of Sioux Falls – Board of Directors (1993 – 1998) Chair (1998)
- New Life / New Haven Center, Board of Directors (1995 – 1999)
- Turning Point Partners Annual Fund Drive – Chair (1998 – 1999)
- Christ Community Ministries – Board of Directors (1996 – 2000)
- South Dakota Symphony – Board of Directors (2002 – 2003)
- Society of Industrial & Office Realtors (SIOR) Minnesota/Dakotas Chapter Chair (2003 – 2004)
- SIOR National Council of Presidents (2003 – 2005)
- Habitat for Humanity of Sioux Falls – Board of Directors (1999 – 2005) Chair (2004-2005)
- Sioux Falls Area Chamber of Commerce Business Leadership Council (2004 – 2008)
- Sioux Falls Area Chamber of Commerce Community Appeals Committee (2002 – 2010)
- Zoological Society of Sioux Falls – Board of Directors (1994 – 2011)
- Sioux Falls Area Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors (2004 – 2011) Chair (2010-2011)
- Forward Sioux Falls Joint Venture Managment Comittee (2011-2012)
- South Dakota Ellsworth Authority Board (2011-present)
- Sioux Falls Rotary West Member (Paul Harris Fellow) (1995-2015)
- Avera McKennan Hospital Board of Trustees (2008 – present) Chair (2014-2016)
- First National Bank in Sioux Falls – Community Board of Directors (2010-2018)
- Avera Heart Hospital Board of Directors (2014-2019)
- DakotaCare Board of Directors (2016-present)
- South Dakota Chamber of Commerce & Industry Board of Directors (2017-present)
Michael’s Notable Transactions
- 605 Running- 1900 sq. ft.
- Tel Drug- 44,704 sq. ft.
- Digital Community Holdings- 2,893 sq. ft.
- Leading Edge Chiropractic – 1,990 sq. ft.
- Hematech – 3 Buildings – 27,956 sq. ft.
- Fiserv – 8,222 sq. ft.
- South Dakota Investment – 5,695 sq. ft.
- CorTrust Bank – 4,200 sq. ft.
- Principal Life – 8,100 sq. ft.
- Wells Fargo – 3,300 sq. ft.
- Raymond James – 1,125 sq. ft.
- Sioux Falls Ambulance – 2,300 sq. ft.
- Rels Title – 3,320 sq. ft.
- L & S Teleservices – 16,992 sq. ft.
- Clarke Partnership- Multiple Transactions
- Avera Health – Multiple Transactions
- Milo Belle – 1,930 sq. ft.
- Avera McKennan – Multiple Transactions
- Fidelity Info Services – 12,405 sq. ft.
- Cigna Tel Drug – Multiple Transactions
- Somnitech – 1,631 sq. ft.
- Walgreens – 3,748 sq. ft.
- FDIC – 8,240 sq. ft.
- Colorado Tech University – 21,000 sq. ft.
- Vera Sun Energy – 43,000 sq. ft.
- Principal Financial – 8,100 sq. ft.
- USPS Renewal- 20,533 sq. ft.
- Capital One- 158,000 sq. ft.
- CNA 88,000 sq. ft.
- Avera Health – 85.47 acres
- Avera McKennan – 41,200 sq. ft.
- Midland National Life – 15.0 acres
- McDonald’s USA – 9.2 acres
- DM&E Building – 42,000 sq. ft.
- Midland National Life – 12 acres
- Interstate Crossing Business Park- 3 acres – $850,000
- Aspen Ridge Land- 13 acres
- Sioux Falls Stockyards – 35.85 acres
- Midland National Life Building – 87,206 sq. ft.
- Former Midco Call Center – 23,500 sq. ft.
- The Edges Office Park – 42.9 acres
- Former CarVantage – 5,300 sq. ft. on 3.48 acres
- MainStage Ballet – 8,536 sq. ft.
- Former Gateway Building – 127,500 sq. ft.
- Grace Church Land – 39.31 acres
- Lundstrom Land – 75,000 sq. ft.
- 69th Street & Western Avenue (SWC) – 1.66 acres
- PineCrest Land – 50.56 acres, $6,000,000
- Carpenter Building- $3,600,000
- Wells Fargo Downtown Parking Ramp- $2,000,000
- Clarke Partnership- 2 Buildings 46,950 SF $3,461,300
- Sioux Falls School District- Joe Foss School
- Great Western Bank- Multiple Properties
- Wells Fargo Building $6,000,000